Friday 15 January 2010

WELCOME.. 2010

A Happy New Year to one and all! 2010 has blown in on rather a chilly wind with snow engulfing much of the UK. My New Year’s resolutions remain much the same, enjoy life to the fullest, carry on as I have every year, NOT give up smoking … unless absolutely necessary. This year though there is a variant from my usual theme; 2010 is our year of change, I am expecting great things from the next twelve months.

As I am sure I made you ALL aware Americo and I went to Australia for Christmas. Put simply, it was bliss! We had the most wonderful time with many special thank you’s to all our friends; the holiday would not have been the same without you! There are so many highlights from our trip that I barely know where to begin.

Our first destination was Airlie Beach, the gateway to the Whitsundays and the Great Barrier Reef (well the start thereof...). After so much travelling I have to admit our first day was a wipe out, mostly spent doing … nothing! Unfortunately our vacationing times coincided perfectly with the arrival of stinger season. This is basically when nature’s most venomous jelly fish go on tour, cruising the seas of Northern Australia and turning all potential swimmers turn into extra’s from the Teletubbies. Let me explain… To avoid getting zapped by the poisonous tentacles of the jellies you wear a stinger suit (hahaha – see what I mean!), this covers you from head to foot in thin lycra (very unforgiving) and turns a beach full of sun worshipers into a horrific version of the children’s TV show.

Anyway, we went to the Great Barrier Reef, snorkelled and saw many fishies, the biggest of which was George the Grouper weighing in at HUGE (9 feet long and 300kg). For your benefit I have scoured the net and found some photo graphic proof … although they truly do not do him justice. He was described to us as the size of a cow with no legs and though I scoffed that was actually pretty apt.

Our next tour was a trip round the Whitsunday islands finishing off at the beautiful Whitehaven beach. This has now become Americo’s all time favourite beach, in the world, with crystal clear waters and silicon sand. I will have to dredge up a photo of my own Teletubbie waddling down the beach in his flippers!

Now we come to the Kayaking…. I can see many of you shaking your heads in wonder that I would EVER agree to do something so physically strenuous. All I can say is .. it had good PR. To be honest the kayaking was my idea, I had the rather idealistic image of Americo and I paddling about the ocean with not a care in the world. Anyhow after some research a full day’s kayaking would equate to 14 kilometres of hard work, I looked at my dearest husband and suggested that, possibly, the half day would be a more sensible option. This is where the PR comes in.. Both Max and Americo sat there smirking and selling the benefits of a full days excursion with lines like “don’t worry Zanna, it is not like you will actually DO any rowing”.

HA!

My ideals of a romantic time for two were shattered, Americo turned into drill sergeant extraordinaire and thus I spent the day rowing like a demon.

They suggested biking the next day… needless to say I gracefully bowed out and went for a massage!

No comments:

Post a Comment