Friday 24 April 2009

FEEDBACK WANTED!

Can you believe that I have been writing this blog for almost 3 months, and what fun it has been! Unfortunately I am not sure it has been as much fun for everyone who has read it, so please leave me some feedback so that I know if I am doing things right.

Today has been exceedingly dull in the office as we have had a systems meltdown leaving us with no e-mail for the last two days. Realistically I know that this should not be a problem, however most all of my work is client related and directly linked to e-mail. Now I know that I could get on with doing filing or something equally brain numbing .. but the truth is I have not quite reached that level of desperation! Instead I have resorted to alcoholic entertainment and am currently sipping a Pimms whilst staring wistfully at the sunshine outside.

My office is placed in a beautiful square in the City of London, we have a lovely little park with remnants of the original Roman Wall that surrounded the London all those years ago. At our main entrance there is a huge hedge dividing our office from the park and partially concealing a little patch of green around the corner from the rest of the garden, all the smokers gather here.

One day a few months ago, whilst out for a cheeky puff, I noticed a sleeping form, lying on the grass, on the other side of the hedge. I thought he must be some vagrant having found a quiet spot to rest his weary head. I came to refer to him as The Sleeping Man, he being there almost daily.

Anyway, yesterday was so beautiful I wondered into this secluded area. After about 10 minutes a well dressed gentleman arrives with a rucksack. He proceeds to scout out the area, then pull all kinds of paraphernalia from his bag, including an inflatable mattress.

Well I looked at him and he looked at me.

Finally I smiled and said .. ‘Are you the sleeping man?’

To which he responded that he was and that he suffers from narcolepsy (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy) . Basically he comes to the park, everyday, rain or shine (even snow), sets up his camp site and has a quick kip for an hour or so.

Now I am not sure if he was taking the mick, but truly he blew up his mattress, lay himself down and promptly drifted off into the land of nod!

How ironic though that ‘the sleeping man’ literally is THE sleeping man!!

No comments:

Post a Comment