Friday 10 July 2009

LOVE & MARRIAGE

A few years ago a friend of mine asked his father what the secret to a long and happy marriage was. His father’s reply was very interesting..
“I loved her more, the times she loved me less”. Sadly there is no hard and fast secret recipe for a good marriage, but I really like this theory.

Americo’s and my relationship goes through cycles, of course I love my husband but there are times when I feel such a total adoration for him that it hurts. Other times - he bugs the hell out of me!

This morning was definitely one of those days. We are going to my friend Pearl’s 30th birthday party tonight and then, tomorrow, onwards to a wedding for other friends of ours. Unfortunately the week has not panned out quite the way I foresaw it; mostly with me having everything organised in preparation of picking up my suitcase this morning and swanning out the house. As it was I ended up madly shuffling through clothes for both events whilst Americo lay in bed being more of a hindrance (to both the packing & my humour) than a help. Thankfully I managed to settle on our gear and close the case, however ….

…. This was definitely a moment in time where I loved him less! Luckily it short lived as I managed to find the amusing side of his general morning patheticness.

This week has been chaotic, my commander & chief is off on holiday, leaving today, so we have been on panic mode trying to get everything out in preparation for his absence (and my holiday at the end of next week). What I am trying to say is, I shall be back on Monday, possibly even with photo’s of yours truly looking suitably out of place clubbing in Reading… wish me luck! More so that you may think necessary, as I packed for my clubbing experience half asleep and have probably left some vital part of my wardrobe at home!

3 comments:

  1. You hit it on the head with the cycles. I can definitely relate to that. I'm learning that it's not about the bad times as much as it is about figuring out how to navigate them. For everybody, it's different but that willingness on both ends makes all the difference in the world. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. After 15 years of marriage, it's rarely anywhere near 50/50. I can put up with times when I'm giving 80% because he always comes through during those times when I'm only giving 20%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I think this philosophy is sorely needed in times of the dreaded "downward spiral." If someone in the relationship isn't wo/man enough to love despite the downhill trend, the relationship doesn't last long.

    ReplyDelete