Thursday 2 July 2009

SLEEPING

Usually I sleep like a baby however at the moment I am obviously suffering from a guilty conscience as my nights of easy slumber are just not happening! Tuesday night I could not get comfortable and felt incredibly jealous of my snoozing husband lying next to me gently snoring. I am not sure why but I grabbed my pillow and dumped it on the other end of the bed (head to toe) where I promptly faded into blissful oblivion.

Last night I had high expectations of a great nights sleep, due to my previous night’s lack, sadly it was not to be. Americo climbed into bed and started reading his incredibly dull ‘Alan Greenspan’ book, which is so tedious he has battled through it for the last 2 years, luckily the end is nigh .. only 6 months to go in order to finish the last 10 pages!
Anyway I had just nodded off when Americo turned off the lights, grabbed his pillow plonked it virtually on top of my head, tucked the duvet around us before letting out a huge sigh and crashing. From then on I drifted in the half world that comes after bewitching hour, a suspended animation between the planes of living and dreaming. Then I started to squirm and itch and cough and generally be so restless even I could not be alone with myself a second longer! [NOTE – Americo slept on!]

Once again I grabbed my pillow but this time more drastic measures were required, I tiptoed down stairs to our spare bedroom (careful not to wake Americo), whereupon I collapsed in sheer exhaustion and immediately passed out.

At about 4 I hear a plaintive cry coming from upstairs – “Zan Zan, where are you?” – I call back my whereabouts. Two minutes later there is a thump, thump, thump as my tussled husband stumbles his way down the stairs. I vaguely crack open an eye as he arrives in the doorway giving me the most beautiful sleepy grin. And there he stands, looking somewhat hurt that I abandoned him in the middle of the night saying – “why did you go away”. Truly, how could I ever love anyone else??

Obviously I reply, shut up and go to sleep! So into bed he leaps, whacks his pillow down beside me and once again – passes out!

3 comments:

  1. Thats what us men do...its natural !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this situation, I relate more to you. As a writer, it takes me a long time to go to sleep because my mind is always racing with ideas. My wife can fall asleep in seconds. But then she'll want me to come to bed just to lay with her. She'll be knocked out. I'm still asleep. I need a good book. I hear that's supposed to be good for that. Don't know about Alan Greenspan though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh trust me - Alan Greenspan is your man, why do you think it has taken 2 years for Americo to almost complete it! The perfect cure.

    ReplyDelete